What do we do? Our specialty is renovating and remodeling older homes. We’ll help you design a project that achieves your goals and modernizes your home while complimenting its character and charm. We achieve this by using simple design/build solutions, modern building techniques, and using as many reclaimed building materials as possible.
Who are we? We are a tight-knit team that will be a pleasure to have in your home. Our crew members are knowledgeable, conscientious, and friendly. In addition to our full-time crew of carpenters, we have a group of subcontractors that have worked with us for many years. They are vetted; add their expertise to the design phase; and respect our budgets, ethics, and policies.
What makes us Resourceful? Resourceful doesn’t always mean inexpensive, but we feel it’s worth it. We work hard to save building materials from the landfill, so we always have recycling and reuse in mind when renovating. Resourceful Renovator believes in honoring the existing resources in your home and strives to reuse original floors, trim, and lumber whenever possible. We also frequent local salvage suppliers such as Mason Brothers, ReSource, and ReBuild in an effort to source vintage materials.
Our Design/Build services are practical as well. We use our extensive knowledge of building and renovating to achieve smart designs that are efficient with materials and work with an existing home. We strive to balance wishes, vision, and design with the constraints of budget and reality of existing conditions and systems.
Where do we work? We got our start in 2005 in the Old North End of Burlington, but we are based in Richmond now and work throughout Chittenden County and Waterbury. We try to limit our drive time to 30 minutes. Why? To save resources, of course!
Where do I start? First, please fill out the form on the Contact Us page. Our Office Manager will contact you to discuss your project and see if your project is a good fit.
What’s the process?
If we work together, we have developed a system to help guide you through the remodeling or construction process:
1. Site visit – expect to spend an hour or more talking through your project, budget, and ideas.
2. Free initial estimate – we will provide you with a ballpark to see if we are in line with your expectations
3. Design Agreement – this agreement (and small deposit) allows us to schedule a tentative start date and begin working on the final design, a detailed scope of work, secure permits, and a set of floor plans
4. Materials Matrix – we provide you with a detailed spreadsheet of items you will need to select. It includes square footage, suggested vendors, & budgeted amounts
5. Job walk with our trade partners and subcontractors – we communicate with the team and flush out potential challenges
6. Finalized estimate/job plan loaded into Buildertrend: our project management software
7. Contract – we work with a time and materials contract
8. Start Project
This process usually takes between 2 to 6 months. We find that this method ensures, however, that homeowners get exactly what they want at a price they are comfortable with and minimizes potential renovation surprises.